So I've seen other moms ask for opinions about parenting so I figured I'd give it a try.
Emma is a much different baby from Rileigh so we are dealing with things that I'm not quite familiar with. Emma is a wonderful baby during the day. Eats every 3-4 hours and stays awake for a bit and then naps like normal. She has to be totally passed out for me to put her down to sleep in the swing/bouncy seat or crib. If she is not passed out and I lay her down she cries...which makes me feel like I can't get anything done. Have a spoiled her already or did your kids do that this young.
Second issue: Rileigh never did this so this is where I am lost. About 8 o'clock Emma starts this uncontrollable crying that sometimes will last 30 minutes until I get her calmed down and some night there is ABSOLUTELY nothing I can do to sooth her and she will cry which will seem forever. I feel like I am pretty good with babies but it frustrates me when this happens b/c seriously nothing makes her happy.
Normally I will feed her at 11 or 12 and she will pass out and fall asleep until 3 or 4. Last night I fed her at 11 and bathed her and she started up with the crying again. She won't take the paci and turns her head left and right and kicks her legs. Finally around 1 she went to sleep.
So here are my questions...could it just be her fussy period each evening that she goes through? But in the back of my head I wonder what if something is wrong.
Could it be her formula? But if it was wouldn't she cry throughout her daytime feedings as well. Any comments ladies? Did any of your babies do this? I need help.
Monday, July 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Ramsey did not do this but would sometime do this uncontrollable crying while taking the bottle or nursing. I think he had mild reflux that we didn't really discover until much later. maybe ask the doc about that and I don't know what colic is really but that might be it or maybe she is over tired. Ramsey never took a paci either but was a good sleeper. I'll say a prayer that this will pass soon and you can all get a better night sleep.
Hey Katie, Tanner did that for a while and I bought Gripe Water and gave it to him during his "fussy time" and it normally worked. It is for colic. I would try it. I used it all the time with him. WOnderful!!!!!
Bella had fussy time at night, too. I think the day is just long and she had had it by then... it's hard to remember now how much she cried, but I certainly remember it being not too fun! And I'm sure with two, and trying to get one ready for bed, it seems even worse!
For gas, I used the gas drops and it seemed to work. But I think that time (late afternoon/night) was just a fussy time for a while for us.
Bella never took to a passy either. She couldn't hold it in or something? She loved the swing and the vibrating chair.
Geez, I just realized how much I forgot and how I'm about to have to relearn all over again!!!
you could try switching to a gentle formula....target brand makes it and enfamil has a good one.....just to see if it helps. if not, you know it's not the formula. Mackenzie went through a fussy period until she was about 6 weeks in the evening. We did use a paci and swaddle with her and it helped soothe her a lot. I did babywise and I stuck to their schedule of sleep, eat, and play, and so on. But, I think the max a newborn can be up is 3 hours or they enter "over tired" and will just cry. Try laying her down a little early....you could also dip her paci in something sweet so she'll take it...applesauce, juice, sugar water...or switch paci's. I use Advent and both my kids took them.
Sorry I just threw up all this. I feel like I was just there. I would just keep trying different things until i found something that worked. call me if you want to...678-261-7571
good luck1
ps. if it makes you feel any better, Mackenzie is almost 7 months and still cries every time she goes down for a nap or bedtime. sometimes up to 20 min. I just go in every 10 and give her a paci, rub her back, ect. Some babies just cry more. david didnt either.
Luke was the same as Emma. He was so fussy, usually at night. I could never lay him down to go to sleep without some elaborate swing/rock/swaddle/hope-for-the-best routine. He was sick from the get-go, too. We didn't know about his milk allergy and/or reflux, so I remember those first couple of months to be really tough. I just had no idea how to soothe him.
Maybe it's the formula that Emma is taking. I'd ask your pediatrician if they think a change is warranted or you could just try another one and see how it goes. These days, so many babies have an intolerance or allergy to milk or milk proteins. We tried several formulas before we found one that worked for Luke. We have only given Nora that particular brand, Elecare, since she also had milk allergy and reflux. She's fared much better because we didn't have to experiment with her!
Or it could be reflux. Do you notice her arching her back when she's fussing? That's a classic sign. Both of my kids' reflux is worse at night right before their last feed. The doc can prescribe Zantac. For both my kids, after just one dose, they were immediately better.
Or maybe it's that she's been sick and is still trying to get back on schedule and over the stress of a hospital stay. I think events like that are very tough on little babies, even if we don't realize it. Luke had a couple of hospital stays (dehydration and a seizure) when he was tiny. I had to hold him all the time, sleep with him, to comfort him. It took him 7-10 days after each episode to get back into some kind of schedule I could live with.
Oh, and I followed Babywise, too, and it seems to have worked with both my kids.
I know it's so hard when Mommy is not getting good rest and babies are sick. I bet once she's had some time to adjust to being back home, in her own environment and feeling completely well, good sleep habits will follow.
I'm thinking about you and praying!!
Put her in her car seat and sit her on top of the dryer with a load of clothes running. Or a car ride. These were things that worked with our kids.
You are a GREAT mom! And before you know it you will miss all these seemingly endless nights.
Yeah, I know, I'm a man and I don't have a clue about raising babies.
Blessings!
John
Post a Comment